Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a secure and effective daily pill that will reduce your risk greatly of HIV illness. PrEP is more able to stopping HIV it every day if you take
To begin with on PrEP, speak to your regular doctor or nurse, or go to a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics that provide PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is PrEP right for me?
To discover if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative people who will be willing to just take an everyday pill.
You should look at using PrEP in the event that you:
- Usually do not always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently possessed an infection (sti that is sexually transmitted
- Do have more than one partner that is sexual
- Have partner who’s sex along with other lovers
- Have partner that has HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Are attempting to conceive with a partner who’s got HIV
- Have partner whom does not want to obtain an HIV test
- Have intercourse for cash, medications or even an accepted destination to remain
- Inject drugs or have partner whom injects drugs
How can PrEP stop HIV?
If you should be subjected to HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing during your human body, preventing an HIV illness. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are the exact same medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Exactly what are the unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to take care of individuals with HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP usually do not report any unwanted effects. For folks who do, probably the most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, tiredness and headaches. These signs usually have better or go away in the month that is first of PrEP. Rare negative effects consist of bone or kidney dilemmas. Your medical professional or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any relative side-effects.
Just how well does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for those who make the product at the least four days a week. Your HIV danger is significantly reduced invest the PrEP every single day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, it offers aided reduce brand brand brand new HIV infections across new york.
I still have to use condoms if I take PrEP, do?
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv avoidance choice for those who don’t use condoms each time they have sexual intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended pregnancy.
How can I just just simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a tablet as soon as a time, also on days you do not have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is prescribed by way of a medical practitioner or nursing assistant.
- Prior to starting PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test one to ensure that you lack HIV and therefore your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- While you’re on PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you every 3 months for HIV as well as minimum every 6 months for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever PrEP that is taking an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
Just how long does it simply just take for PrEP to your workplace?
Studies claim that you will need to simply just take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- 7 days before PrEP provides maximum security when you will be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides maximum protection when you might be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood what number of times you ought to simply simply simply take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How to purchase PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid & most medical health insurance plans.
If you don’t have insurance or have actually a higher co-pay, you may well be entitled to an individual help system that can help pay money for PrEP. Medical clinics can additionally assist patients apply. You can easily register in to a low-cost insurance coverage by calling 311.
Find out more about your re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
Am I able to get PrEP if i will be an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not impact your ability to obtain PrEP. You’ll safely consult with staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may influence your choices for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even although you are younger than 18, parental authorization is not needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the hospital is likely to be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can really help you with this particular procedure.
exactly exactly How else could I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about emergency PEP. If you should be maybe not taking PrEP and think you had been recently subjected to HIV, go immediately to your medical professional or an urgent situation room and have for PEP, an urgent situation medicine that will avoid HIV. It is possible to call the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to get going on PEP straight away. The hotline can be obtained 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as frequently as you possibly can. Get the type and size of condom you want. Condoms are offered for free in most five boroughs. To find our where you could get yourself a free condom, call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, particularly during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the only method to understand in the event that you or perhaps a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about evaluation. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers concerning the time that is last had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Help your lovers coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to have HIV care and simply take their medicines every so they stay healthy and do not pass HIV to others day.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol when you’ve got sex. Consuming or getting high if you have intercourse makes it difficult to keep in mind to make use of condoms. For help to quit using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). If you inject medications, avoid sharing syringes, cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get clean syringes in the town.
PrEP for ladies
PrEP can be A hiv that is effective selection for cisgender and transgender ladies whenever taken daily.
Women that have actually genital intercourse should be particularly careful to just simply take PrEP each and every day to keep medicine that is enough their genital muscle to stop an HIV infection.
Women that have sexual intercourse with ladies and whom can be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can benefit from PrEP also.
Will find female PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP doesn’t hinder hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you nevertheless want to utilize contraception or condoms to stop unintended maternity and other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones treatment?
No. There isn’t any proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the quantities of hormones within your body. Analysis has discovered that transgender women that simply simply simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Could I simply simply take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect women that are attempting to conceive a young child having a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe for the mom and son or daughter both during and after maternity, and has now maybe perhaps not been proven to influence fertility.
If you’d like to simply simply take PrEP while wanting to conceive, talk to the doctor. You might have to consult a specialist to get more guidance about using PrEP in this manner.